Saturday, March 26, 2011

So much to remember!


Anthony and I, 2007

I suppose I should maybe start this by introducing myself. My name is Sue, as you may have surmised by seeing my bio. I am a 46-year-old widow. My husband was much older than I am, and it wasn't really an issue until he died way before I was ready for him to (as if I'd have ever BEEN ready). He was an avid skier, snappy dresser, one of the smartest people I know and the love of my life. At least the love of Part Un of my life.


We have a great little furry family - Mooch, our 16+ year old cat; Sticks, our 15+ year old Chihuahua and Bones, who is probably around 3 or 4. 3 1/2 months prior to my husband dying, we lost our little dude, Rudy. He was a special boy...and by that, I do mean short-bus special, as well as being the sweetest little guy you ever met. He had a seizure disorder and ended up dying from some type of undetected mass in his stomach. So as you can well imagine, last year was not a fabulous time for me.
 
Mooch
Sticks




Rudy
Bones

In the sort of fuzzy after-ness of Anthony's (and Rudy's) death, I have decided to quit my job of 20 years, pack my stuff and move to San Antonio, Texas. My job was nothing to really speak of...worked for the State of California - and we all know what kind of mess this state is in. I wasn't so much a a legal "assistant" or "secretary" as I was a "paper shuffler". It didn't take a whole lot in the way of mental exercise. I worked with some good people - and some kooks - even one mass rapist/murderer (no, really...)...and it's likely I'll miss most of them.

So now I'm facing a houseload of furniture and belongings that need to be sorted, purged, sold, packed...it's a lot to do alone. I have to remember to make all my doctor appointments, dentist appointments, schedule the movers, call the vet, get the Jeep checked for the road trip...I don't know how the heck people do it. I guess after 23 years of being with someone and working as a team (him carrying the lion's share in the memory department), I'm just not used to being the only one having to remember stuff. All this job-quitting, dog-caring, packing-the-house, appointment-setting is getting pretty tedious. I carry a calendar and a notebook with me at all times...and even that doesn't always help. Even when I'm firing on all cylinders, my memory isn't that great! I'll have to do a crossword or some Sudoku to handle that...at some point...when I have some free time. Whenever that might be.

In the midst of it all, my "check engine" light came on in the Jeep (turned out to be nothing important), and last night it was broken into. My memory probably played a part in that also, since I think I forgot to lock the back end of the Jeep, giving the swine an all-access pass to whatever they wanted. Fortunately, all they ended up taking was a GPS that was in the center console, however, they did bust up my glove box - and there wasn't even anything IN there. So now I have to remember to get THAT fixed. It could have been worse...there was a car down the street that was stolen. And my neighbor just called and told me HER truck was broken into also. I use the term "broken into" in both cases loosely, since we both inadvertently left doors unlocked.

Anyhow, there it is for now...I'm not sure at all what to tell you to expect with this blog. I'm going to take this opportunity to thank my friend and co-worker, Eugene, for his endless, tireless, constant haranguing encouragement to get one of these suckers started. That way you know who to blame if it all goes awry.

Cheers for now-
Sue


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! No, really...tell me...