Monday, May 2, 2011

Here I am!

Cousin Robyn.
Hey y'all! Well, I made it to Texas. Big thanks to my cousin, Robyn, who flew all the way to California to get into a Jeep Wrangler and drive halfway back across the country with me. I couldn't have done it without her. We showed up at Mom's lookin' for all the world like the Clampetts, except that Ellie Mae and Granny would have been my other dog and cat. We found out along the way that there is NOTHING between Phoenix and El Paso, and even less between El Paso and San Antonio. Epic amounts of nothing. We stayed overnight in Deming, New Mexico. Had to actually go to Walmart at 12:30 the night we got there so I could fashion a litter box out of an aluminum baking tin and cat litter. Mooch appreciated it. I think I was propositioned in Walmart. I don't think the guy had all his teeth, but he did help me find the baking tin. (I did not take him up on the proposition, but he did manage to let me know that he snores, and that when people say someone "sleeps like a rock" that pumice is, in fact, a rock, and it floats. I'll let you ponder that one.)
 
Cortney and I after signing my paperwork.
In other news, I ended up getting the house I was trying for!! I close on the 23rd of May, so I have another move in my future. This is a good one...only 2 blocks. All my stuff made it from California - just fine, so far as I can tell. I haven't unpacked a box yet, but my curio cabinet that has 3 glass sides is here and all in one piece. The garage is stacked high and tight here at Mom's, and I can't find anything to wear, so we had to make a run to Old Navy to pick up a pair of pants and a couple tops. I labeled my boxes on 3 sides AND the top, and the movers managed to put the ONE unlabeled side out. Keepin' things interesting, I guess.

A very cool thing about living here is that there are LOTS of farmers markets. I've eaten more veggies in the last couple weeks than I likely have in the last year. And they're GOOD! You know, tomatoes actually HAVE a flavor! Who knew? Grocery store maters are so meh when you compare them to "real" ones. And we've had a bucketload of green beans, too. Other cool things include the pair of little cardinals flitting around in the front yard - a male and a female. They mate for life, so it looked like they were just out for a little morning neighborhood fly-around before heading back to the nest to get warm. Yeah, to get warm...it's cold here! Well, at least today it is. It's been fairly hot and humid, which is the norm. I don't know how long it's going to take me to get used to that. Trust me, I'll keep you posted on how the summer goes.

The one thing that's been not so great - Mooch isn't doing too well. She's an old gal, and Mom and I are now giving her subcutaneous fluids once a day because she's so dehydrated. Thank goodness Mom was in nursing school at one time. I'm such a chicken-shit that I had a rough time stickin' Mooch with the needle. I'm a good assistant, though. I don't think Mooch has a whole lot longer with us, but she made the trip, which was really all I required of her. I'll let you know how it goes with her.

Ok, that's about all I have time for now...gotta go and vacuum up the kitty litter that Mooch has tracked through Mom's bathroom - Mom's not used to the beach in her bathroom, for some reason.

Y'all come back now, y'hear?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! No, really...tell me...